Ouija: Origin of Evil is a Horrifying Success

Photo via forbes.com

Destinee Sadler, Staff Writer

Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) is the prequel to the first movie Ouija (2014) starring Elizabeth Reaser, Lulu Wilson, and Annalise Basso. Although they are both movies based on infamous Ouija Board games, director Mike Flanagan tries to take a different approach with “Origin of Evil” by having lead actress and young actor Lulu Wilson become possessed by a series of evil spirits they summoned from the Ouija board.

Flanagan and producers, Michael Bay, Jason Blum, Bradley Fuller, Andrew Form, Brian Goldner, and Stephen Davis organized a well put together film. In spite of having so many young actors, the actors that were picked, played their characters without a doubt very well. Rated PG-13 with loads of  paranormal violence, the film has amassed an 82% fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes.

ouija-1
Image via comingsoon.net

MCHS freshman Kailyn Rector went opening night to watch Ouija and was impressed how well put together this film was. “I enjoyed Ouija so much that I even went a second time! I am sometimes disappointed after seeing a movie, but after this one I definitely believe I got my money’s worth.” Freshman Tucker Adams explained that he felt the movie was definitely worth seeing twice.  Many other posted reviews were positive saying it was better than the first Ouija.

With their budget of nine million dollars the director and producers created a well-produced movie that has now become a box office success taking in $64.5 million to date. Overall with all the information and reviews found on this movie, it was an economical and critical success with teens and fans of the horror genre likely returning for repeat viewings.