MCHS Discusses Summer’s Controversial B.E.T. Speech

Samantha Lanham and Latasha Vasquez, Staff Writers

Jesse Williams, current heartthrob of the popular drama Grey’s Anatomy, was recently honored with the 2016 Humanitarian award at the BET Awards. The show aired live on June 26th. Many Americans believed that Williams’ speech was racially prejudiced and vulgar which soon led to a petition requesting to remove Williams’ role as the eye candy of Grey’s Anatomy.

Upon accepting this award, Williams gave a powerful speech for the Black Lives Matter Movement. His speech caused much controversy as he discussed the traumatic deaths of several African American youths as well as declaring his public opinion towards police brutality. He gave this powerful speech because of his awareness of current racial issues and his opinions of the movement.

Jesse Williams declared his stance as he discussed how “white” people make it clear that there is no segregation towards Africans, yet their actions say otherwise. Williams’ stated in regards to the shooting of a African woman who was playing in a park, “You’re free, they keep telling us. But she would have been alive if she hadn’t acted so free.” As a viewer of the BET Awards, Fox News employee Stacey Dash stated, “If this was a white person making the same speech about an African American, they would have been fired.” Also firing back against William’s speech Dash said, “BET is keeping segregation and racism alive, and this past Sunday’s award show proves it.” She also goes on to say the speech was “straight out of the black lives matter playbook.” This started a widespread petition that already has over 6,000 signatures to get Jesse Williams fired off of his hit show Grey’s Anatomy.

MCHS student, LaRose Nicholas stated, “I feel as if there shouldn’t be a Black Lives Matter movement because all lives matter, and us as a society should have settled civil rights a long time ago.” Another fan, MCHS teacher Mrs. Stephanie Shaw stated that if she were awarded this speech she would make it clear that, “White people don’t need to be reminded that “all lives matter” because society tells them that everyday. However, Africans need to be reminded of this daily and it should be the duty of white people to enforce that all lives do in fact matter.” She also stated, “Grass roots of Black Lives Matter is a little bit more like MLK with non-violence but, yet, making sure we understand that the judicial system and other things are already stacked against people that are black and bringing awareness to them.” Similarly, both Shaw and Nicholas stated that all this controversy was “petty” and that Jesse Williams should not be kicked off of the TV show.

Grey’s Anatomy producer Shonda Rhimes (@shondarhimes) tweeted, “Um, people? Boo don’t need a petition. #shondalandrules.” With the new season quickly approaching, be on the lookout for Jesse Williams on the new season of Grey’s Anatomy airing September 22, 2016.