Sam’s Early Season Top 10

The Herald-Times

Chris Howell | Herald-Times The team surrounds their head coach, Tom Crean, as he is being interviewed after the State Farm Armed Forces Classic at the Stan Sheriff Center in Honolulu, HI. Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016.

Sam Heitz, Staff Writer

The 2016-17 NCAA Basketball looks to be full of exciting and outrageous surprises. Since the season has just begun, the outrage has been at a minimum, however, the most intriguing preliminary cause for debate would be the early polls. My top ten preseason teams are based on recruiting class, returning starters, and history of the basketball program.

1. Duke Blue Devils duke

Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum, two of the top three players in the class of 2016 according to any network which ranks that sort of thing, should be able to do more than enough to fill the hole left by Brandon Ingram’s departure. Coach K’s class of 2016 got even more lethal last month when top-rated big man Marques Bolden picked the Devils over Kentucky. The Blue Devils also return key players in Luke Kennard, Amile Jefferson, Matt Jones, and most importantly Grayson Allen, a finalist for the Wooden Award.

2. Kentucky Wildcats kentucky

The Kentucky Wildcats yet again, receive the best draft class for the 2016-17 season. Future NBA players in De’aron Fox, Bam Adebayo, and Malik Monk are the top recruits the Wildcats received this offseason. Wayne Gabriel and Sacha Killeya-Jones are two other top 25 recruits. Even so, Isaiah Briscoe and Derek Willis are headed back to Lexington, giving Coach Cal the mix of youth and experience that he enjoys.

3. Villanova Wildcats villanova

The most prestiged from the 2105-16 season is back at a top spot after their incredible NCAA championship. Although losing senior leaders Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu, won’t be easy, the reigning national champs still return three starters and might have a better chance of repeating than any team we’ve seen in the last decade. Jalen Brunson and Josh Hart should both be stars, and Jay Wright is adding some much needed talent in the middle with five-star center Omari Spellman.

4. Indiana Hoosiers iu

The Hoosiers have a believable chance to be the best college basketball team in the NCAA. Although, their recruiting class is not as highly praised as some, they did acquire Curtis Jones an impressive guard and De’ron Davis a backup center to perhaps the best center in college basketball, Thomas Bryant. Another acquisition, would be transfer point guard from Pittsburgh, Josh Newkirk filling in for the absence of  graduate Yogi Ferrell. Another promising outbreak star would be the 6’9’’ O.G. Ananoby, whose length and athleticism may be the best in college basketball.

5. North Carolina Tar Heels unc

Brice Johnson, Marcus Paige and Joel James are moving on, but the reigning national runners-up will still be returning experience at virtually every position. They’re also bringing in a freshman class that includes top-50 prospects Tony Bradley, Seventh Woods, and Brandon Robinson.

6. Oregon Ducks oregon

Coach Dana Altman brings in a No. 12 recruiting class that features Payton Pritchard, a scoring point guard who could added firepower. Oregon was able to flip Pritchard from leaving his home state for Oklahoma. Another key contributor is M.J. Cage, the son of former NBA player Michael Cage. Two NCAA tournament stars, Tyler Dorsey and Dillon Brooks are also returning starters that will have a big impact on the 2016-17 season.

7. Arizona Wildcats  arizona

After two consecutive Elite Eight teams that very well could have won it all, Sean Miller’s program looks to take yet another step forward. The recruiting class brings in Rawle Alkins, and Kobi Simmons the 20th and 21st players in the ESPN top 100. The also welcome back key contributor Allonzo Trier (14.8 ppg), who should make a big leap as a sophomore. The same goes for Kadeem Allen (8.4 ppg, 3.6 apg).

8. Kansas Jayhawks kansas

Perhaps the greatest guards in the backcourt return back to action for the Kansas Jayhawks. Frank Mason III and Devonte Graham, might not be the most talented guards, but their tenacity, toughness, and leadership will surely take them far in the NCAA tournament. The Jayhawks also bring in Josh Jackson, the number two recruit in the ESPN top 100.

9. Virginia Cavaliers virginia

Coach Tony Bennett welcomes a No. 7 recruiting class with players that fit his system perfectly led by three-point shooter Kyle Guy, point guard Ty Jerome, and small forward DeAndre Hunter. Memphis transfer Austin Nichols gives the Cavaliers an intriguing new piece. Plus, you know that Bennett’s team is going to play relentless, sticky defense.

10. Xavier Musketeers xavier

Chris Mack welcomes back Miles Davis, Trevor Blewitt, and J.P. Macura and their junior and senior leadership. The Musketeers recruit two top 100 players in Quintin Gooden and Tyrique Jones. The class could improve if USC transfer guard Katin Reinhardt joins.