The Madisonian

The student news site for Madison Consolidated High School

The Madisonian

The Madisonian

It is the policy of Madison Consolidated Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, or age, in its programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (I.C. 1971, 22-9-1); Public Law 218 (I.C. 1971, Title 20); Titles VI and VII (Civil Rights Act 1964); the Equal Pay Act of 1973; Title IX (1972 Education Amendments): Public Law 94-142; and Public Law 93-112, Section 504. This application will be given every consideration, but its receipt does not imply that the individual will be hired.

MCHS Girls’ Track Aims to Take the Next Step

With springtime approaching, the women’s track and field season has commenced for Madison Consolidated High School. Head Coach Patrick Maschino strongly believes in the team he’s leading this year. Although there has been some loss of depth due to the departure of the last senior class, Maschino feels confident that this team could achieve remarkable feats in the 2024 season.

Maschino elaborated, “I feel like we have been consistently improving over the past two or three years. Over the last five years, we’ve steadily progressed and now have a strong foundation. I believe we can expect the same level of success we had last year, if not more. We’re bringing back a lot of talent, and our team culture is thriving, motivating the girls to work harder for more than just themselves.”

While Maschino is excited about this season, he acknowledges that the absence of some depth pieces will be noticeable this year.

“We lost some key players in Breck Ralston, Molly Armbrecht, Grace Bronkella, Haleigh Pyles, and Cadence Traylor. That particular class contributed across various events, and we were able to mix and match them. So, I would say that’s the biggest loss as a group from that class – the ability to interchange and adapt by plugging people into different roles,” Maschino expressed.

In terms of goals for the upcoming season, both head coach Patrick Maschino and his athletes have ambitions that hold genuine appeal.

Senior Ava Spencer explained, “My personal goals are to individually qualify for regionals and set personal records in all my races. As a team, we aim to win the Madison Invitational again.”

Maschino typically allows the team to set their own goals to gauge their aspirations at the start of the season. However, he believes there are significant objectives to strive for this season.

“My goals may differ from the team’s goals. I prefer the team to establish its objectives. But if I were to consider the goals set last year, winning a sectional championship as a team is very achievable. We’ve been steadily closing the gap over the years. So, I feel like this could be the year we accomplish it,” said Maschino.

Despite falling short of winning last year’s sectional title, Maschino remains optimistic about the future and hopes to achieve that goal this season.

MCHS senior Bridget Cline clears the bar in the high jump. (Hannah Combs)

He continued, “While we didn’t achieve our team goal last year, we viewed it as progress. We’re getting closer to where we need to be, and every step forward counts.”

Maschino aims to bring a significant portion of the team to the regional meet.

“I believe taking half of our team to regionals individually is also achievable. We did it last year, taking 14 girls to regionals, which was a significant accomplishment. I think we can replicate that this year,” Maschino said.

All the hard work and dedication to the sport are validated when reflecting on why one loves the sport.

Autumn Ross, a junior at MCHS, explained, “My favorite part about track is the mental aspect and how you always have to stay focused, not letting any distractions get in your way.”

Senior Bridget Cline added, “I love being around all my teammates and participating in another sport. I enjoy being able to support them and receive support from them.”

Maschino, who has been coaching for eight years, finds fulfillment in building relationships and witnessing his athletes grow.

“My favorite aspect of coaching girls track is building relationships with my team and helping the girls develop into stronger individuals, both as athletes and as people. I enjoy empowering them and demonstrating that they can achieve more than they think. It’s about fostering a healthy environment and culture together. That’s what I cherish,” Maschino explained.

As the 2024 track and field season unfolds, head coach Patrick Maschino and his athletes are driven by numerous goals and aspirations. The team culture is thriving, and the groundwork is being laid. The first official outdoor meet is scheduled for April 4, 2024.