The Madisonian

The student news site for Madison Consolidated High School

The Madisonian

The Madisonian

It is the policy of Madison Consolidated Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, or age, in its programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (I.C. 1971, 22-9-1); Public Law 218 (I.C. 1971, Title 20); Titles VI and VII (Civil Rights Act 1964); the Equal Pay Act of 1973; Title IX (1972 Education Amendments): Public Law 94-142; and Public Law 93-112, Section 504. This application will be given every consideration, but its receipt does not imply that the individual will be hired.

A Look at MCHS Baseball

Fans and players are excited as the 2024 baseball season begins. Head Coach Kyle Harsin anticipates a successful season for the varsity team.

Senior Liam Murphy says he’s “looking forward to helping lead this younger team to carry on the culture of what’s been built from the classes before.”

The team opened on March 26 at 6:00 pm at home against North Harrison, and while they have gotten off to a slow start, Coach Harsin commented on the team’s never-quit attitude after a narrow 3-2 loss against class 4-a number five Floyd Central. The Cubs are also battling a host of injuries with five or six players who could see significant playing time in the dugout or hobbled.

A Madison Cubs baseball player stands ready to hit.

Harsin has worked hard to instill a work ethic and positive attitude that continues through the players even after the season ends. “The one thing I really harped on with our program is we have to be relentlessly positive.”

Because of their dedication to the sport and their “close-knit team dynamic,” Harsin often “has to kick the boys out of the cages after practice.”

Last year, our boys finished the season with 19 wins and nine losses. The team lost sectionals last year against Scottsburg 0-3, but with the team’s hardworking mindset, Cub baseball players are confident they can be successful this season.

Junior Abe Reetz stated, “We’re just playing to win, and we’re gonna do whatever it takes to win.”

Also, a junior, Mitchell Cammack, is “excited to get some wins and hang out with the team.” 

With Harsin’s 10 years of coaching experience and the team’s commitment, MCHS expects a great season from our Madison Cubs’ varsity baseball team.  

The Cubs picked up their first two wins of the season in a doubleheader sweep of the Lanesville Eagles. You can catch the Cubs in action today at Switzerland County and tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday at home against Seymour, Clarksville, and Salem, respectively.