The Madisonian

The student news site for Madison Consolidated High School

The Madisonian

The Madisonian

It is the policy of Madison Consolidated Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, or age, in its programs or employment policies as required by the Indiana Civil Rights Act (I.C. 1971, 22-9-1); Public Law 218 (I.C. 1971, Title 20); Titles VI and VII (Civil Rights Act 1964); the Equal Pay Act of 1973; Title IX (1972 Education Amendments): Public Law 94-142; and Public Law 93-112, Section 504. This application will be given every consideration, but its receipt does not imply that the individual will be hired.

Super Sophomore, Davis, Continues to Shine for the Lady Cubs

MCHS Lady Cubs sophomore guard Juliana Davis

*Scoring statistics are based on the date of the interview.

Sophomore Lady Cub basketball player Juliana Davis may only be two years into high school at MCHS, but she has repeatedly shown her passion and talent for this sport. Davis is still progressing through her season and is already vying for school records. For example, Davis tied the school record for most steals in a single game versus the Southwestern Lady Rebels.

Like many young hoopers, Davis started her basketball career at a young age. “I started basketball in third grade because my dad wanted me to. He pushed me harder, and I got good. It became fun, and I continued to play.” 

Davis was a varsity starter in her first year, averaging 11.2 points per game, and has improved upon her impressive freshman during her sophomore year by nearly doubling her scoring output at 22.7 points per game.

Davis pops a deep three.

“I have improved a lot from last year because of my coaches,” Davis said.

Madison Consolidated Lady Cubs head varsity basketball coach Adam Dennis and varsity assistant and junior varsity head coach, Sonya Bowyer coach Davis had effusive praise for their rising basketball star.

“She was really good her freshman season; she started for us last year. One of the special things about Juliana is how hard she plays all the time. Her motor is pretty amazing, but the thing that has improved the most is her shot last year. People could back up on her a little bit and play her drive. Still, she’s worked so hard in the off-season to improve her shot that they can’t do that anymore, so they have to be on her as soon as she crosses half-court because she can score at three different levels.” 

Madison Consolidated assistant varsity and head junior varsity coach Bowyer also thinks that Davis has shown improvement over the year.

“I think she has taken more of a leadership role this year; she’s been more vocal and leads by example because she has an excellent work ethic. Her defense has also really improved this year.” 

Davis has significantly impacted the Lady Cubs on and off the court. Coach Dennis believes she has a significant impact on the team.

Davis scoops a layup.

“She makes an impact on both ends of the floor; she’s had some games where she scored 30, and some games she’s had when she tied the school record for steals. So she makes an impact on the offensive and defensive side of the floor; she’s one of our leaders of assists, so she’s finding open people. Davis impacts every aspect of the game for us, but people see her and the work she puts in during the off-season and regular season, which affects everything we do. So she’s making an impact on the court and in the locker room”.

Davis pushes not only herself but also the rest of her team to be better. Coach Bowyer noticed the hard work that Davis has been putting in to get better.

“She goes and works hard every single day, and that makes everybody else work hard and holds them accountable,” Bowyer said.

Even though Davis’ high school basketball career will end in ’26, she plans to continue with basketball a little longer. “I want to go to a D1 college, and if I can’t make it to a D1 college, I will try to go to a D2 school”.

Davis, center, celebrates with her teammates after a successful run in the annual Turkey Shootout basketball game.

Davis has had some favorite games this season and is still looking forward to many more.

“Lawrenceburg was my favorite game because I dropped 30 points that game.” 

With it only being Davis’ sophomore year and her already excelling in the sport, many are excited to watch her grow and see what else she will accomplish throughout the rest of her basketball career. Coach Bowyer enjoys coaching Davis and watching her grow.

“She is a scoring threat and a defensive threat; she is entertaining to coach because she is always working hard.” 

You can catch Davis and the Lady Cubs in action tonight at Silver Creek at 7:30 or this Saturday at Conner K. Salm at 1:30