Protesters, Some MCHS Students Disappointed in Trump Election

Image via nbcnews.com

Sadie Miller, Staff Writer

Following the election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States, rallies have broken out in 25 cities across America protesting the millionaire’s political rhetoric and anti-minority speech.. The speeches of Donald Trump have had shocking racist and sexist ideas, creating this presidential election to be one of the most historic and stressful to date.

Large angry groups of protesters gathered outside the newly opened Trump Hotel in Washington D.C while New Yorkers marched down Manhattan’s Sixth Avenue taking their rage to the streets and chanting with signs while ignoring the city’s rainfall. Highways and streets were shut down, neighborhoods abandoned, following up with many student protests in countless colleges and high schools.

That night the social media app, Twitter, was a battle zone, with supporters of Trump accusing protesters of being ‘whiny’ and ‘hypocritical’ because the election did not result in their liking.

How horrible. Voldemort was nowhere near as bad. – J.K Rowling (@jk_rowling)

Donald Trump’s condescending misogyny is now a more trademark feature than his ‘do.   -Lena Dunham (@lenadunham)

A true American Horror Story— Cheyenne Jackson (@cheyennejackson)

Image via Elite Daily
Image via Elite Daily

Gabi Kalish, a student of MCHS has moved to numerous countries and settled here in Madison in the beginning of the year. Witnessing how various governments work, she said, “I’m not extremely excited; I don’t want to say I hate Trump even though he talks about hate a lot. I don’t think he’s exactly what we need in a president. The reason people like him is because he is not a politician like everyone else and is a businessman. With other countries, I would say their governments are more successful. a lot of the leaders seem to be more diplomatic and reasonable; Donald Trump does not seem to have the qualities for foreign affairs.”

Another student, Davion Casper, said, “Mainly I feel like the whole election was stupid. He said things that weren’t called for and he was rude to women. I don’t think that the way he ran for presidency wasn’t (sic) classy or right, if that makes sense. As a non-Trump supporter, I don’t see what he will do for us. His ideas are not bad but not the best.The protests are nonsense and full of violence. (It is) basically focal-violence and that’s not okay. If you’re going to be in an election, you shouldn’t talk bad about things you don’t like. He hated on women, race and Muslims. It’s not okay.”    

The millionaire gave a thankful speech to his party shortly after the announcement in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The losing opponent, democrat Hillary Clinton, gave Trump a congratulatory phone call, not making a speech of her own until the following day. Clinton wore a suit of purple, a symbolic color blend of red and blue, the two colors representing the two political parties, Republicans and Democrats.

With discussions on the values of America and the concern of the future of citizens, particularly those of Muslim and Hispanic citizenship being a highlighted topic in debates, the campaign has been seen as the most historical yet in regards to the shape of the future of American society.

“We did elect Trump president, after all,” said Rachel Rowlett, senior at MCHS. “It’s important for everyone to understand each other.”