Glenda Ritz Imagines a New Approach to Grades and Testing

Glenda Rtiz Image via wibqam.com

Jon Motenko and Kennedy Park

State Superintendent of Education Glenda Ritz recently came to Madison to discuss Imagine 2020 for the Education Foundation. According to the Indiana Department of Education, “Imagine 2020 focuses most on equity in student access to resources and instructional support, high quality instruction from the very best educators with high learning expectations and support for all Hoosier students, and student-centered approach that focuses on the diverse needs of each and every student to exit our Pre – K – 12 education system prepared to succeed in college and career opportunities.”

Superintendent Glenda Ritz had the idea for “Imagine 2020.” Her approach on this is to not have a pass / fail grading system but to also do away with ISTEP Testing. She wants the students to be able to get their test results back right away so the families and students understand what they missed, so their teachers can help them understand what they missed.

Superintendent Ritz wishes to avoid the pass / fail grading system and focus more on the progress of the students. Mrs. Ritz is also trying to get rid of standardized testing. ”Testing is the whole reason I got into running for (state) superintendent (of education); I believe we are testing our students way too much.”

Superintendent Ritz is trying to give all kids an equal chance to access the information, get the best teachers for all students, and give all students an equal chance to be prepared for college.

imagine
Image via idoe.gov