Sophomore Advisory Board Hosts Halloween Fundraiser

Pyper Stone

On October 29th, MCHS hosted its first dance in years that is not a prom or semi-formal. Along with the help of sophomore class sponsor, Ms. LeAnne Eberts, sophomores Katherine Martinon, Pyper Stone, and Abigail McClure spearheaded the organization of a new 2015 Halloween dance to help raise money for junior prom.

The trio had been planning for the dance since the beginning of September. “It originally started out as a haunted house,” said Stone. “Unfortunately, we were unable to get all of the necessities to create the haunted house.” Setting it up was not always the smoothest venture. The original location, the cafeteria, ended up being used by a cross country banquet. In the end, the dance had to be moved to the small gym. “The location was actually much easier to use, we didn’t need as many chaperones and we didn’t need as many decorations.” says McClure.

The dance attracted 40 students and took in $100 towards the funding of the prom. “The turnout was great, very promising.” says Martinon.

Like any large production, there were some hiccups like playlist malfunctions, and the sophomore advisory board vows to improve that in the future. Also, there was candy, cupcakes, soda, and cookies served as well as a costume contest.

The costume contest had plenty of entries. The top three costumes were awarded recognition. In third place was Savannah Cosby dressed as Cleopatra, second place was Two-face Girl: Morgan Foxworthy, and first place was awarded to the bloody bride, Amber Skinner.

Overall, this dance was a success. Perhaps next year it will have more success by attracting more students, more money, and definitely more food. However, for their first dance, it was a rewarding benefit for the Sophomore Advisory Board.