App For Students Makes Inappropriate Interaction Easy

Brooklyn Arizmendi

Screenshot of auto-generated After School App message

After School is an anonymous social media app allowing teens in each school system to post things about each other. After School originally launched October 2014 but was taken down by the App store for bullying, ability to make anonymous school shooting threats, and overall lack of moderation. After School then relaunched with heavy moderation and new safety features for its users.

Unlike other apps of its kind, one must be a student of that school and verify the student is a member of the school.  Most of the After School posts now are love confessions and admiring of  physical attributes (for the high school here at least).

Every post is reviewed by a moderator and if it is considered inappropriate or as bullying then it is immediately taken down. People who are seventeen and older can take a picture of their ID allowing them to see more ‘explicit’ content about their peers. Students are talking explicitly about sexual and other inappropriate experiences.

One senior, Chris Cosby said, “At first I liked the App but after awhile it escalated to more of a dating site; it was kind of annoying.” Many students believe that After School generates responses to make it seem more popular to generate interest. “The compliments I was given were nice but I noticed some things seemed robotic or scripted which was weird. I was not a fan,” said Cosby.

The scripted responses aren’t at all uncommon. It seems like every picture someone posts has the same response. Another senior, Ashlie Stidham said, “I think it’s pretty lame sometimes, weak if you will. Some things are funny though. People just need to go up and say what they need to say instead of anonymously. And by the way, I do have a ‘bae’ for whoever asked.”