FFA Raises A Fruitful Total For Scholarships

Levi Baxter

FFA member unloading fruit delivery
FFA member unloading fruit delivery

Every December it’s the season for snow, but for the Madison FFA it’s the season for fruit.

Every year, beginning in the fall, the Madison FFA goes to work to sell fruit for their chapter. “That way we don’t have the students pay for things like national convention or the (FFA spring) banquet and things like scholarships that we give away at the banquet,” said Amanda Briggs the chapter advisor.

The Madison FFA has had a productive season with sales. “We have sold approximately $60,000 which totals to around an estimated 4,000 boxes of fruit,” said Briggs. The students get plenty of perks as well. Students receive a small percentage of the amount of fruit that they sell. It also lowers most of the cost burden when travelling to the FFA national convention which could cost an individual over $200.

The students in FFA are enjoying it as well. Madison Consolidated High School student Autumn Hardy said, “I sell fruit because it raises money for the FFA chapter it lets us do things most other chapters can’t while also helping the community by giving all the leftover fruit to retirement homes, etc.”

“The students, themselves, love to sell fruit,” said Briggs. “They also learn how to have better communication skills, and we very much appreciate the community for the help buying and selling fruit”.

Madison FFA is working every day to find ways to help and restore the community with things such as planting trees around the community and giving fruit baskets to the elderly in retirement communities. “We are happy that we reached our goal of $60,000 in total fruit sales that way we can give the students in FFA what they deserve for all their hard work through the year,” Briggs said.”