Hocus Pocus 2 Continues the Spirit of the Original

Hocus Pocus 2

Emilee Kostin-Tibbits, Staff Reporter

The Sanderson sisters have returned. Hocus Pocus 2 was finally released on September 30, 2022, after the original Hocus Pocus made its first debut in 1993. If you are interested in watching Hocus Pocus 2, it is not necessary to protect the first movie concerning they have different plots. Long-time Hocus Pocus fans will have a lot of expectations for the new film. You might even notice the special effects are better than they were in the first movie.

Hocus Pocus 2 will undeniably get you in the Halloween spirit. The film Hocus Pocus 2 is about three high school girls, and while it has been 29 years since the Black Flame Candle was lit and brought back the 17 century Sanderson sisters, the sisters seek revenge on Salem for executing them in the past. The three high school students must stop the ravenous witches from wreaking new havoc on Salem before midnight on All Hallows Eve. 

The original Hocus Pocus is a 1993 American fantasy comedy, and the Sanderson sisters are a villainous comedic trio of witches. On Halloween night, they are brought back by a teenage boy and girl and the boy’s little sister in Salem, Massachusetts.

The main characters in the second film are Winifred (Bette Midler), also known as Winni. She is the eldest sister and typically leads the witches in all intrigue they are involved in. She has the powers to control electricity, cast spells, make potions, and use her hypnotic voice to lead adults on her trips. Mary (Kathy Najimy) is the middle sibling; she always tries to appease the drama by demonstrating she is a reliable criminal partner. Mary and Sarah (Sarah Jessica Parker) might fight some to get attention from Winnie, but Mary is the one who remains the most caring. Sarah’s superpowers are the ability to smell anything from a distance.

It is beneficial when the sisters are looking for children. Sarah is the youngest; she can easily attract men and control them to her advantage. Sarah uses her skills to convince little kids to follow her commands. Becca (Whitney Peak) is a new character. Her birthday ritual may now have been how the Sanderson sisters got brought back. Becca and her best friend Izzy (Belissa Escobedo) must do whatever it takes to take down the Sanderson sisters. 

Hocus Pocus 2 is a delightful film for children and adults. The film brings the same spooky humor from its predecessor but with a modern twist and is the perfect sequel to the classic movie. The Sanderson sisters returned to their roles as if no time had passed. The trio of original actresses didn’t miss a beat.

The film is a safe family franchise, and Hocus Pocus 2 captures the original movie’s spirit, even though some emotional moments don’t always land. 

Hocus Pocus 2 is not memorable enough nor exceeds the original to explain its fascinating existence. The cornball antics might miss the mark for some people watching the film, and some might contend there are not many “witchy” moments in the movie. It’s more unevenly plotted than the original, and I’ve seen some detractors mention the glamour and effects hide a confused and directionless story.

I thought Hocus Pocus 2 was an outstanding film. I got hooked from the begging. I liked how the movie started with how the Sanderson sisters got the spell book. I thought the movie was funny and very touching at the end.

This reviewer was hooked from the beginning by the events surrounding the spell book, and the movie was funny and touching. If you’re a fan of the original or looking for lighthearted spooky fun for the Halloween season, check this one out before we move onto the holidays.