New MCHS Program to Award Students with Integrity

The criteria for the new Acts of Integrity initiative at MCHS

Alivia Brawner, Staff Reporter

This school year, Madison Consolidated High School’s principal, Michael Gasaway, is implementing a new rewards program for students. The Acts of Integrity program is designed to help students feel more rewarded for doing the right thing. With the help of the MCHS staff and faculty, Gasaway came up with the idea of the Acts of Integrity program. 

If students are recognized by MCHS faculty and staff as performing an act of integrity, that person will fill a Google Form describing the act. There are seven criteria for an act of integrity: graciousness, respectfulness, honesty, trustworthiness, being hardworking, helpfulness, and patience.

Gasaway stated, “A teacher can just do it (fill out the student integrity form) anytime, any day, as many times as they want. The other ways to get into the raffles are: A’s, B’s, and C’s are getting so many tickets. If you’re nominated as (the top) student of the class at the end of the year, that’s another way to get a ticket. If you’ve had zero referrals each month you get a ticket for each month you didn’t get a referral and zero tardies. Anybody will be eligible.”

MCHS Principal Michael Gasaway

Gasaway, who is in his fourth year of being the principal at MCHS, is working hard each year to encourage students to do their best inside and outside of the classroom. The program is essentially a raffle, and students’ behavior decides how many tickets they get in the raffle. It was created to reward and encourage any and all MCHS students. The students that are used to doing the right thing and not receiving anything, will now have the opportunity to have their integrity recognized. According to Gasaway, at the end of the year, students are really going to realize the impact of this program.

At the end of the year, we’ll have the raffle, and so students will get prizes at the end of the year, and if they get the grand prize that student is going to be pretty happy,” Gasaway said.

Students will have an opportunity to win a $500 grand prize at the end of the year, but there is not just one reward. There are several. Gasaway and the MCHS administration are looking into a ride-along with MCHS Resource Officer Jacob McVey, gift cards, t-shirts, Sony Playstations, and many more so that several students will be rewarded. They are taking donations, teachers are raising money, and even some faculty are donating out of pocket for the raffle as well. When the date of the drawing arrives, the MCHS administration will draw tickets until the prizes are gone.