MCHS AP Student Delivers Wreaths to Veterans’ Graves

MCHS APUSH student Luke McCarty with a wreath for fallen veterans for the holidays

Staff Report, Staff Reporter

Madison Consolidated A.P. United States History student Luke McCarty visited the Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Madison over the weekend where the lone APUSH student laid wreaths at the headstones of fallen veterans over the holidays in accordance with the nationwide Wreaths Across America program that was scheduled for December 14th.

Mixed among family members of veterans who have been laid to rest, McCarty laid four wreaths to show appreciation to those who sacrificed so Madison residents such as himself can enjoy the holidays with their own families.

While there was a somber tone to McCarty’s visit, he was glad he could pay his respects.

“I don’t know how to explain it. (The feeling I had) was along the lines of thankful,” McCarty said.

The idea to visit the cemetery stemmed from APUSH teacher Shannon Barger, who allowed his students some opportunities to participate with veterans in other ways if they were unable to take part in the annual MCHS Veterans Day program. Even though other students had the ability to participate, McCarty was the only student who made it out to the cemetery. Barger was proud of McCarty’s dedication to show up over the weekend.

“That says a lot about who he (McCarty) is for him to show up and remember the past,” Barger said.

Grace Massie
AP US History teacher Shannon Barger

According to the Wreaths Across America Website, each December on National Wreaths Across America Day, their mission to remember, honor and teach is carried out by coordinating wreath-laying ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery, as well as at more than 1,600 additional locations in all 50 U.S. states, at sea and abroad.

Any veteran, who qualifies under the rules established by the U.S. Department of VA and was separated under other than dishonorable conditions is eligible for burial at the cemetery as well as an eligible spouse of an approved veteran, an unmarried child under 21 or lifelong dependant or veteran, or any reservist or National Guard member who was eligible for retirement pay at the time of death my be buried at the Cemetery.

The Indiana Veteran’s Memorial Cemetery is located at 1415 North Gate Road and you can find out more about the cemetery here.