What Happens if a Student Gets Caught Vaping or Gets into a Fight at MCHS

via+commons.wikimedia.org

via commons.wikimedia.org

Madison Ginn, Staff Reporter

About three million students are currently using vapes in schools in the United States, one in four high school students have reported being in a physical fight in the past year in U.S. schools, and around 7.1 million students between the ages of 12 and 20 report consumption of an alcoholic substance in America in the past month.

Behavior issues can vary depending on what one’s school analytics are, and luckily Madison Consolidated High School’s behavior issues have decreased in the last few years, especially with attendance rates. However, as there are with most public schools, there are still some issues being reported. One of the biggest issues at MCHS is vaping. It is not only a behavioral issue, but it is also a huge health problem.

MCHS Principal Michael Gasaway

MCHS Principal Michael Gasaway detailed the discipline policy for vaping and said that if a student is caught with a vape, they are required to take a class that, Gasaway says, “educates the students on the dangers of vaping.” Not only are students required to take the class, they will receive an alternative suspension that takes place at the E.O. Muncie building, and there is also the possibility of a ticket. Finally, a student will have to perform community service hours as well.

Of course, there are different types of discipline that go with each different act of misbehavior, depending on the severity and level of the issue, and all of the information is included in the student handbook. Sadly, though, not many students take the time to look at the handbook which can be found here.

After discussing the vaping situation,  Gasaway and Student Resource Officer Jacob McVey weighed in on fighting and violent behavior. The duo stated that Madison Consolidated High School has a zero-tolerance policy against fights and violence, and Gasaway stated that there are “behavior contracts” where students have to “abide by certain rules or the student may be suspended or sent to an alternative school and maybe even an expulsion may need to happen.”

MCHS Resource Officer Jacob McVey

McVey then added that he tries to make MCHS “as safe as an environment for all students as he can.”

MCHS student Chloe Barron stated that she did not think the discipline system was fair because she believes that “when students are sent to ISS, they do not steadily do their work and just sit in there.”

ISS, abbreviated for In-School Suspension,  is a place where students are sent when they are misbehaving in class or in the hallways.