MCHS Changes Student Entrance and Parent Drop-off Procedure

The new student entrance and parent drop off outside of Door 4

Corine Bilz, Staff Reporter

Madison Consolidated High School has reconfigured what is now affectionately called “Door 4” into the new student entrance. Door 4 is located at the end of C-wing of the high school by the student parking lot just east of the gym doors. It is maintained and operated by Mrs. Terri Brunner who relocated from the main entrance. Brunner’s focus is attendance calls and signing students in and out of the building. 

“It is a very good idea for the students because the student parking lot is right behind it,” Brunner stated. 

The new cubicle at the Door 4 student entrance

One positive aspect of the change is making students safer.

The mastermind behind this idea is school resource officer, Jacob McVay. His main concern at MCHS are safety issues, so before the new update, “Door 4 was the weakest link of the whole school because there would not be any adult supervision,” McVay said.

MCHS Principal, Michael Gassaway elaborated, “Door 4 is used for student pick up and student drop off during the school day so that way we only have one entrance; that way we aren’t having two doors open during the school day.”

The sign-in desk by the Door 4 entrance

Not only does the change improve security and safety from the outside of the school, having one entrance and exit occupied with Mrs. Brunner and two aides also positioned at the door, ensures that it is more difficult for students to exit without permission as well.

The new entrance is also where also student pick-ups and drop-offs are to be, even during the school day. Parents dropping off students are no longer supposed to drop their student off at the main entrance. The main entrance is now only for a faculty and staff entrance and for parents who need to meet with an administrator or counselor or paperwork pick-ups and drop-offs.

An outside view of one side of the Door 4 entrance

MCHS Senior Olivia Kelley said, “I like Door 4 because it makes parking way easier and you don’t have to walk all the way around the school when it rains or snows from the student parking lot.”

Even freshmen seem to enjoy the entrance’s accessibility.

“I really enjoy door 4 because we don’t have to wait in a line and everyone moves quickly,” MCHS freshman Erin Hamby said.

So far, the new entrance seems to be keeping everything flowing in the right direction.