Madison Consolidated High School on Alert after Threatening Social Media Posts

Summer Young

The main entrance of Madison Consolidated High School

Summer Young, Staff Writer

On the morning of February 19th, 2018, MCHS administrators were contacted by a parent who had been made aware of a threatening post by their student on a social media website. Although the authorities have not found the social media post, Officer Jacob McVey, school resource officer at Madison Consolidated High School, alerted local police officers at the Madison Police Department to come and keep the situation under control. Some students attending Madison Consolidated were approached by officers about the situation where it was confirmed one student witnessed the post, told another student, and then that student informed their parent.

The second incident was not related to the first social media post but was a posted on the social media format Snapchat. A student then informed someone that there was a threat aimed against a school administrator. The student that posted the social media post on Snapchat  was arrested by  the Madison Police Department.

Madison Consolidated High School’s principal Michael Gasaway made an announcement at approximately 8:05 to inform students about the commotion with the police department and the threats the students had made to ensure there was not any panic within the student population. Teachers also kept close watch.

MCHS teacher Ronnie Lawhead said, “I just kept my eyes peeled outside the windows in my room, had a plan in my head just in case, but most importantly just tried to stay calm and collected to make sure the students don’t panic. The students did stay very calm, I don’t think I had any students really freaking out.”

Parents please keep communicating with your student about their lives and updating one another on social media and in real life. The Madison Consolidated Schools communications department is advising students  and parents alike to “If you see something, say something. No incident is too small or insignificant to report.”