9 Things to Know About Title IX

Hope Miller, Staff Writer

Before 1972, many leading universities did not accept women. Sporting programs for women were rare. There was little support financially for female athletic programs, making it difficult to pay for the necessities a sporting team requires.  Title IX was based on civil rights legislation where no discrimination can be given out based on race, color, or sex. Title IX was signed into law by President Nixon on June 23, 1972, and in just 37 words, it outlawed gender discrimination in all public educational programs: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

What is Title IX?

The Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination involving the basis of sex in a program or activity. All sexes are covered by Title IX. Title IX focuses on the prohibition of discrimination against sex, gender identity, harassment, and domestic violence in an educational environment.Title IX is usually focused on the education field, usually in sports and other recreational activities.

Does Title IX only apply to athletics?

No, Title IX applies to all fields of education, whether someone is being discriminated against in the classroom, financial assistance, or through athletics.

Does Title IX only apply to girls?

Title IX applies to everyone. The law protects everyone who is being discriminated against due to their gender.

Are all activities included in Title IX?

Yes, all educational and athletic programs are included into Title IX. There is no exclusion in activities.

Does Title IX only involve discrimination in sports?

Title IX is commonly known to protect student and athlete rights, but it also covers the rights of victims of domestic violence and impregnated women.

Does Title IX require boys and girls to have the same amount of sporting opportunities?

Many people believe that title IX requires an identical amount of programs, but as long as all students are satisfied with the programs available and are given equal opportunities Title IX does not have to come into play. There is no rule stating males and females have to have an equal amount of programs.

Because girls have to have an equal amount of opportunities, do boy programs get cut if there is not proportional amount of programs?

Title IX will not reduce any male programs. Title IX was made so females are able to participate in any activities that they desire.

Who do I talk to if I have questions about Title IX?

All schools should have a clear procedure and policy for handling discrimination and the program has to be active. If you’re not sure, ask your council or an adviser.

Is Title IX active?

Yes, Title IX is being used everyday. Title IX has allowed thousands of athletes to play the sports that they are interested in and is still effective today.