First Round of ISTEP Brought Jitters

Claire Vorhies

Junior Kylie Stokes

Claire Vorhies, Staff Writer

ISTEP testing is something that most students have dreaded since elementary school. The test is given statewide by the Indiana Department of Education and measures a student’s ability in English/Language Arts, Science and Mathematics. This past week, sophomore students were given the ISTEP+, and this year 10th grade students taking the test were faced with a new and more stressful side of the test. The ISTEP+ for 10th grade students has taken the place of the old Algebra 1 and English 10 ECA. Therefore, students must pass this test in order to graduate and receive their high school diploma.

Sophomore students who were faced with the test felt a new sense of pressure. Sophomore student Brianna Torrance said, “Knowing that the test counted towards my high school diploma definitely made me take it more seriously because I knew that it would affect my future.”

Cooper Yancey was also very motivated and prepared for the test as well. “The ISTEP test was pretty easy. I was confident with myself during the sessions and I felt that I was prepared for it”, he said.

Assistant Principal Jill Deputy oversees the ISTEP testing process and seemed very pleased with how this year’s testing went. “Students seemed at ease during the testing and we look forward to finding out the results,” Deputy said.

The students also had time to prepare for the test during Cub Time. “Our students have been talking about this test in most classes, especially math and English classes. We also created an acceleration program this year that we pulled out students to help build their skills before the test during Cub Time. I think with the change in our curriculum and the addition of close reading and argumentative writing as a goal the last two years, we have helped students be more prepared for the test. They seem to be more motivated when they are prepared,” Ms. Deputy added.

The stress and nervousness that comes along with ISTEP testing is something all students can relate to. However, Madison High School has done its best efforts to try to make the testing a little easier for students. Although there is not any information yet on when scores will be released, the school was very proud of the students and how they managed to work hard and accomplish the test.

Claire Vorhies
Kylie Stokes gives the thumbs up for ISTEP testing.