2017 Boys Golf Preview

From left: Drew Barron, Case Kiefer, Blake Kiefer, Austin Mahoney, and Landon Conner

Drew Barron, Sports Writer

The 2017 MCHS boys golf team is looking forward to a good year with no losses due to graduation and Austin Mahoney and Blake Kiefer coming back to the team as seniors. Joining them are projected starters Case Kiefer and Landon Conner (both juniors) and sophomore Drew Barron. New MCHS golf coach Dale Crafton has already started open course practices with the players. Conner said, “I think the open course practice (format) is really going to help us when the season comes, especially since a few golfers started two months before the season started.”

Last year the Cubs made it out of their sectional with a team score of 298. Mahoney came in with a 72, Conner 74, Barron 75, and Blake Kiefer 77. As they advanced, they did not have as much luck in their regional coming in with a tenth place finish. This year, the team has the expectation of placing in the top three at the regional tourney and advancing to the state finals.

With Crafton as the coach, the expectations have changed. Practices are longer now, and the team has adjusted well. A typical practice might starting at Cozy Acres Golf Complex to hit balls and then move over to Sunrise Golf Course to practice putting, play some holes, and then putt some more.

“My goal for these boys is for them to be the best they can be and focus on one shot at a time,” Crafton said. “We started in the middle of January (and because of off-season rules) I can work with no more than two players at a time. We have been focusing on pitching, chipping and putting. These (areas) are what we need in our arsenal to get where they want to go this year.”