MCHS Library Nearing Completion

Kennedy Park and Jon Motenko

Overhead view of the design for the new MCHS Learning Commons

Jon Motenko and Kennedy Park

The renovation for Madison Consolidated High School’s new and improved library, now referred to as the Learning Commons, is rumored to be ready for use by March 2017 according to Director of Quality Systems, Operations, and Auxiliary Support Mike Frazier. The previous library was located at the end of the art hallway near the cafeteria. The new Learning Commons’ location is near the north entrance of the the gym  across from the cafeteria where the atrium was previously located. There are new blueprints for the new design of the new library. 

Previously the MCHS library was very traditional only recently adding booths, stools, TV’s, and a snack bar. Madison’s upcoming library is planned to be more cozy, and a learning center for all to use. The previous library had tables and chairs and booths to sit upon, while the new library is more casual with couches, tables, lounge chairs, and booths with a variety of different heights and types of tables and lounge chairs.

In the absence of a library, students have access to online books called eBooks. According to MCHS Librarian Ms. Linda Brinegar, “Students have had access to over 600 eBooks that are accessible for students to check out while the library is down.”

Although current students identified the new Learning Commons location as the atrium, it has had a few identities. MCHS Guidance Secretary and alum Mrs. Dianna Rusk said, “I graduated in 1974 and the current location of the new library is where the girls had their gym.” In the 1980’s the previous Girls’ Gymnasium became the driver’s education classroom and was filled with simulators.

The library had many benefits for students. For example Sophomore Carson Livingston misses “the snacks,” but the library had many more benefits to the students besides snacks. The library provided a quiet reading place, a place to relax and catch up on work, and a variety of books to checkout. Students Hunter Liter, Jaleesa Elliot, and Austin Mahoney all seemed to really appreciate the seating in the previous library and are looking forward to the new types of furniture that the new library will provide. The rumors about the new library have the students and staff extremely excited and will be a positive and comforting location for students to enjoy.