Prom to be Moved to MCHS Gym; Kelsey to Organize Decorations

Jaleesa Elliott, Student Editor

The 2016-2017 school year has been packed with changes. Whether they are favorable or not, they are inevitable and are made by the most experienced of people with the student body in mind. One of the major changes to come this year is the remaking of the whole prom experience. No longer is the responsibility of prom being left to volunteering moms of the junior class. MCHS Art teacher and Theater director, Mr. Aaron Kelsey has decided to take on the arduous task of transforming  an ordinary May night into a classy formal.

Along with Kelsey’s new management came, a major concern of juniors and seniors attending prom is the idea of having prom in a different location. A major concern of juniors and seniors attending prom is that change. The gala is no longer going to be held at the Hanover College ballroom.

The venue will now be the large gym,” said Kelsey.

The main gym will be the home of this years prom, and if successful, probably more proms to come. Top concerns were the possibility of the main gym not being as elegant as the Hanover College ballroom, therefore losing the magical feeling of the event that high schoolers love. The venue change has sparked mixed emotions with students like senior Lilly Owens.

“It makes me feel sad because our school… is gross. I did like Hanover better.

We only have one senior prom and it should be nice.”

Surprisingly, Juniors, newbies to the entirety of the prom experience, have doubts about the change of scenery as well.

“Since I haven’t been to prom ever, I don’t really know how I feel about it. I think it will be too small and that people aren’t going to enjoy it as much,” junior Hannah Imel said.

However, Mr. Kelsey has total and complete confidence in what he can do with our blank canvas gym.

“Prom is not an event too much unlike a theatrical production. I have quite a bit of experience in producing special events. We have great plans to transform the space into an amazing, classy, and elegant ballroom.”

Despite the lack of approval students are expressing on the modification, some junior and seniors are willing to give Kelsey a chance and are hoping that he can prevail.

“It depends on how they will arrange the space to accommodate the prom scene. Hopefully Mr Kelsey can turn the gym into something nice,” said senior Clay Vaughn.

One of the main reasons for the switch of venue is due to the high cost that Hanover demands for four hours of enchantment. To rent the ballroom provided by Hanover it costs about $3,000. It may not seem like much for such an event as prom but in addition to the DJ, decorations, and after prom festivities, the once overflowing prom well is running dry.

Traditionally the junior class provides the funds for prom in various ways such as fundraising and ticket sales, giving the senior class a break for doing the fundraising the previous year.

So far the junior class has $95. It seems that the classes have not been very diligent in planning ahead for their junior prom,” said Kelsey.

What are the juniors doing to make the night of students lives as awesome as possible? “I am not doing anything. Maybe they will say something about it at a junior class meeting, though I will probably not attend” said Anonymous  junior.

While prom is six months away, deadlines are quickly approaching. The more money that is raised, the greater prom can be.