Editorial: Student Rally was Meaningful and Impactful

Jaleesa Elliott, Student Editor

America is a country founded on the civil and sometimes not so civil disobedience of its citizens. It is a major part of our history that has impacted a great deal of decisions. Without the voices of citizens, how is the distress and disapproval supposed to be heard?  Keeping silent is not productive or is it moralistic. There are many teenagers of this generation and particularly those involved in the walkout following the announcement of Principal Yancey’s reassignment that have realized that that they too can be a part in what has been going on for centuries in this nation by being active and having a voice.

On a personal and local level, the students of Madison Consolidated orchestrated a student-led walk out turned protest at school. The protest drew attention from four local news stations. This peaceful protest included more than 100 student and lasted from the start of Cub Time to the end of ‘A’ lunch. Students gathered in the student parking lot and marched to the front of the MCS administration building while police and authorities were present but put forth no effort in trying to stop the assembly. The police even had the road to the administration building blocked of to ensure the safety of the students as they marched across the street. In its entirety, the protest was successful. This was a serious march that portrayed the passion and beliefs of our students. It was organized as the students departed their classes during Cub Pride Time, a time used for enrichment purposes or as a study hall to ensure that no actual teaching time would be lost, and it ended just before ‘A’ lunch. The students then came inside to eat and continue the rest of the day. In retrospect, the protest was exhilarating and a great learning experience for the small town students of our school that may have never been involved, or will ever be involved, with something of this caliber ever again.   

However, a specific question remains: Do students even have these rights?

As high school students, most are under the age of 18. Minors do not share the same rights as adults, like the right to vote or the right to consume alcohol. However, there are freedoms that are granted by the constitution regardless of age. Basic freedoms granted by the Constitution such as the freedom of speech and the freedom to peaceably assemble were being practiced by students, minors, and even adults that day.

What we did that day was not out-of-bounds. A peaceful protest was held in order to voice our opinions. No riots. No disrespect. Just words. Why is it alright to practice your rights, especially freedom of speech on the internet on social media, but it’s taboo to practice it in person? Perhaps it is because that there is a stronger sense with live marching and chanting rather than empty internet talk. Perhaps it is because “there is power in numbers” is not a cliche but holds valid truth. According to some outspoken members of the public, every student should have been punished and possibly suspended. Why should a student be punished for practicing their basic human rights as well as principles taught throughout their education and within their household?

America is a nation solely founded on civil disobedience. For example: throwing tea in the harbor in 1773 to show its disapproval of taxation without representation from the British. The multiples strikes of the American Labor Union in the 1930s, the march on Washington to fight for civil rights in the 1960s, sit-ins at counters, the women’s suffrage movement, and the very recent women’s marches that took place in major cities all over the country and all over the world promoting the fight for women’s equality are all examples of citizens displaying their legally protected rights.

Via cnn.com

Civil disobedience has been proven victorious multiple times throughout history. Our students practicing their right of freedom of speech and the freedom to assemble, even at school, was a display of what our country has been doing since the beginning in an attempt to be heard by higher powers.

This was a learning experience for our students. Moreover, it was a lesson about speaking up for what you believe in and cooperating and uniting together for a noteworthy cause deemed emotional and meaningful to a vast majority, of the Madison Consolidated student body. This should not be a punishable offense but one that should be applauded.