Junior Advisory Board Is The Wizard Behind The Curtain

MCHS students taking prom photos

MCHS students taking prom photos

Brooklyn Arizmendi

Prom is that magical and nervous time that a student here gets to experience once junior and senior year. Prom leaves students asking so many questions until that very day arrives. What do I wear? Where will I eat? Who am I going with? Do I rent a limo?

What often goes unnoticed is the work that takes place behind the scenes. Parents, teachers, and students are volunteering to make the night amazing for everyone. Various fundraisers are held throughout the year, mostly by Junior Advisory Board. MCHS senior Elizabeth Anderson said, “It takes creativity and food good enough to ease my social anxiety.” An amazing prom doesn’t just pop out of nowhere; there are people making every arrangement.

Junior Advisory Board regulars Montana Hosmer, Alexis Wolfe, Megan Banta, Claudia May as well as many other juniors have raised funds and made choices for this year’s prom. If they participate properly they earn a free ticket to the prom they worked so hard to put together. Fundraisers come in several forms: Powder Buff volleyball, Powder Puff football, Little Caesar’s pizza kits, Turkey Shootout t-shirts, and sectional t-shirts. Everyone knows fundraising can be a challenge. Morgan Foxworthy, member of Junior Advisory board, had her fair share of struggles. The Little Caesar’s pizza kits proved to be the most difficult to sell, “It’s difficult to sell any pizza in a small town with many pizza places.” 

Once the decisions have been made and planned, prom generates roughly $5,000-$6,000 according to Sarah Bowyer, co-sponsor of Junior Advisory. Once the night itself arrives, there is a demand for students to help set up and tear down decorations. Directly follwoing the prom, the Madison PTO organizes and after prom that has a myriad of activities for varied interests. In the end, it’s up to students to make the best of prom by participating and giving input.