NBA Trade Deadline Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

NBA Trade Deadline Review

Derrick Rose as a Cleveland Cavalier
Via wikipedia.org

Derrick Rose as a Cleveland Cavalier Via wikipedia.org

Collin Birge, Staff Writer

The NBA trade deadline date was an eventful one around the league. Teams finalized their rosters to either make a run for the championship or look forward to the draft coming up in June. No superstars were traded this year which is not normal compared to last year’s blockbuster trade when the Sacramento Kings traded DeMarcus Cousins to the New Orleans Pelicans and back in 2010 when the Denver Nuggets traded Carmelo Anthony to the New York Knicks. However, there were big names that were once superstars but have declined in skills that were traded on February 8th.

The biggest name traded at the deadline was Cleveland Cavaliers’ point guard Isaiah Thomas to the Los Angeles Lakers along with Channing Frye and the Cavs 2018 First Round Draft Selection for Lakers’ guard Jordan Clarkson and forward Larry Nance Jr.

The Cavs traded away Thomas who they got during last summer in exchange for superstar point guard Kyrie Irving to Boston, they sent away Thomas to get better at defense which was ranked in the bottom five of the league and adding solid young talent like Clarkson and Nance will definitely help improve their defense.

“It was a surprise, but at the same time, I am happy to have a new start,” said Thomas on being traded to his hometown Lakers.

MCHS junior and local NBA fan James Wilson said, “I think that the Isaiah Thomas trade was great for the reason that Isaiah wasn’t fitting in Cleveland and (they) wasn’t playing well. Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. are a better fit for Cleveland, therefore, I believe Cleveland won the trade.”

Larry Nance, Jr. posted on Instagram a thank you note to the Lakers: “I’ll be forever grateful for everything the Lakers organization, the fans, and my teammates have done for me. It’s been an unbelievable experience and I couldn’t be happier with where I started this journey! Thank you guys for the past two and a half years! Now onto The Land I go.”

Larry Nance Jr.’s message to Lakers fans after he was traded to Cleveland

That’s not the only trade the Cavs made at the deadline; in a three-team trade the Cavs sent forward Jae Crowder and guard Derrick Rose to the Utah Jazz and guard Iman Shumpert to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for guard George Hill, who takes over the starting point guard spot after the Cavs shipped away Thomas. The Cavaliers also got Jazz guard Rodney Hood to improve their defense and outside shooting.

The Jazz ended up releasing Derrick Rose the day they acquired him, and the Kings also got Joe Johnson, and a 2020 second round pick. The Kings released Johnson and he was picked up by the Houston Rockets. The Cavaliers also sent guard Dwyane Wade back to the Miami Heat for a future second-round pick.

There were more trades involving other teams besides the Cavaliers. The Phoenix Suns traded a 2018 second round pick to the Orlando Magic for Elfrid Payton to add a playmaker in the backcourt to help out rising star Devin Booker. Another three-team trade occurred with the Denver Nuggets, the New York Knicks, and the Dallas Mavericks. The Nuggets sent guard Emmanuel Mudiay to New York and received Devin Harris from Dallas and a 2018 second round pick from the Knicks, and the Mavs received Doug McDermott and a second-round pick from the Nuggets.