MCHS JAG Program Shines at State Competition, Wins a State Title

Top from left: Lauren Medina, Mrs. Whitney Mathews, Riley Motenko Bottom: Josh Pearson

Claire Vorhies

On March 17th, JAG students Lauren Medina, Riley Motenko, and Josh Pearson competed in the State Career Development Conference (CDC) in Indianapolis. The JAG program placed first in the state for their service learning blog which is the first time for the program.

“We have placed in state but never first,” said MCHS JAG Specialist Mrs. Whitney Mathews.

Medina competed in Career Presentation and placed second in the state, followed by Riley Motenko who earned honorable mention for outstanding senior. Josh Pearson was up against very tough competition, and even though he did not place in his area of competition, he made very good professional connections.

JAG is something most of us aren’t very aware of. JAG stands for Jobs for America’s Graduates. It is a national non-profit organization sought to prevent students from dropping out of school. The JAG program has had great success in previous years with a graduation rate of 94 percent as well as a 61 percent employment following a 73 percent full time job rate.

“Thank you to all that helped our students in mentoring them to their success. All students did excellent in representing our school at a state level,” Mathews said.

From left: Pearson, Medina, and Mrs. Mathews